- Trainee (H-3)
The H-3 trainee is a nonimmigrant who seeks to enter the United States at the invitation of an organization or individual sponsor for the purpose of receiving training in any field of endeavor.
The H-3 visa may be granted for a period of up to two years and cannot be extended. If the training is for a two-year period, the trainee must return to their home country for a six-month period before applying to work in the United States.
- The training must not be designed primarily to provide productive employment.
- The trainee must intend to return to their foreign residence upon completion of the program.
- The proposed training must not be available in the foreign national’s home country.
- The trainee must not be placed in a position in which citizen and resident workers are regularly employed.
- The trainee must not engage in productive employment unless it is incidental and necessary to the training and pursuing a career outside the United States.
- The training must benefit the foreign national in pursuing a career outside the United States.