Visitors for Pleasure (B-2)

The B-2 visa is intended for individuals who will make short trips to the United States for pleasure. This category includes tourists, attendance at special events, visiting friends or family, medical treatment, etc.


  • The trip is for a qualifying purpose
  • The trip is for a limited time period
  • The applicant maintains a residence abroad
  • The applicant has sufficient funds for the trip
  • The applicant does not intend to immigrate to the United States

Qualifying Purposes

A detailed list of qualifying B-2 visitor purposes is stated in the notes to


The applicant cannot intend to:

  • Immigrate to the United States
  • Work in the United States
  • Study in the United States (other than a short course of study)

Note on Restrictions

The Immigration and Naturalization Service may deny an application to change from B-2 status to another visa that allows work or study in the United States if they suspect that the B-2 visa was obtained with the intent to work or study in the United States.

Period of Stay

B-2 states may be granted for a period of up to six months and extended for a total stay of one year. However, the period will be consistent with the applicant's purpose in the United States.